Chelsea may be without £50 million striker Fernando Torres for the start of the Premier League season after he suffered a head injury in Spain's 2-1 defeat by Italy on Wednesday night.PA PhotosFernando Torres was taken to hospital• Torres injured in Spain slump• PLAY Premier League fantasyTorres lasted just 14 minutes of the international friendly in Bari before leaving the field with suspected concussion and being taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.A scan reported no major problems and Torres rejoined Spain's squad to return to Madrid but it is doubtful he will be ready for Chelsea's first game of the season - a testing trip to a physical Stoke City side on Sunday - with the forward due to undergo further
Sports
Arsenal will not sign Phil Jagielka, says Distin
Sylvain Distin says he is certain his Everton defensive partner Phil Jagielka will not move away from Goodison Park to Arsenal this summer.GettyImagesEverton reportedly turned down Arsenal's previous bid for Phil Jagielka• Werder will consider Mertesacker offers• Wenger will add defender to squadJagielka has been linked with a switch to the Emirates throughout the current transfer window, with Arsene Wenger looking closely at the Everton defender, along with Blackburn's Christopher Samba, Bolton's Gary Cahill and Per Mertesacker from Bundesliga outfit Werder Bremen. However, Distin believes Jagielka is going nowehere."He's not come out and said he wants to go anywhere, so I guess that means Jags wants to stay," Distin said. "It's still a club to be at. I don't think
Ravens, RB Ricky Williams agree to deal (AP)
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP)—The Baltimore Ravens have signed veteran running back Ricky Williams(notes) to replace Willis McGahee(notes), who they let go days before training camp. Williams agreed to a two-year deal, the team announced on Monday. The former Heisman Trophy played last season with the Miami Dolphins and if everything goes well with his physical on Tuesday, Williams will work in
Romelu Lukaku Chelsea transfer inches closer
Anderlecht striker Romelu Lukaku arrived at Chelsea on Monday to undergo a medical and thrash out personal terms as the Belgian international edged closer to a move to Stamford Bridge.GettyImagesRomelu Lukaku is set to become Chelsea's third summer signing • Chelsea agree Lukaku fee• Oriol Romeu focused on Blues• Zhirkov returns to RussiaThe Blues have already agreed a fee with Anderlecht, reported to be £18 million, for the transfer of Lukaku and the deal is expected to be completed in the next 72 hours.Lukaka, 18, would only say he thought Andre Villas-Boas was a "very good manager" when bombarded with questions by the waiting media as he stepped off his Eurostar train from Brussels at London St Pancras station.He is expected to return
Tevez unlikely to start City opener
Manchester City coach David Platt admits Carlos Tevez is unlikely to play in City's opening Premier League game at home to Swansea City.GettyImagesCarlos Tevez will need more time to get fit• Mancini rules out Tevez swap• City extend Tevez break• PLAY Premier League fantasyTevez has returned to City on Monday following a summer in which he has made clear his desire to leave the club in order to be closer to his family in Argentina. The Argentina striker arrived at the Carrington training ground as a passenger in a black Hummer, and exchanged an embrace with a security guard before going into the complex.At one point last month appeared on the verge of a £40 million move to Corinthians, but negotiations collapsed
Ferguson: Nani never in Ronaldo’s shadow
Sir Alex Ferguson says he never viewed Nani as being in the shadow of Portugal team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.GettyImagesNani wheels away in delightNani has often had to battle against comparisons with his more well-known international and former club team-mate. Even last term when he finished top of the Premier League assist charts in addition to grabbing nine goals, Nani found it impossible to force his way into Ferguson's Champions League final starting line-up.There were plenty of observers who felt the Portugal international would abandon the Red Devils this summer in an effort to avoid such disappointments in future. However, Nani remains within the United fold and at Wembley yesterday scored twice to help his side emerge victorious in their Community Shield tussle with rivals Manchester
Mancini denies Man City interest in Sneijder
Roberto Mancini has dismissed suggestions Manchester City are interested in signing Inter Milan star Wesley Sneijder.GettyImagesManchester City have dismissed any suggestion they are looking to sign Wesley Sneijder• Gasperini coy over Sneijder• Gazzetta: Sneijder set for CityItalian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport claimed on Saturday that Sneijder had agreed to join City in a €36 million deal with wages of €6 million. However, City sources subsequently rejected the report and Mancini has now officially denied holding any interest in the player."No," he said. "It is not true. He is an Inter Milan player. We never spoke about him."With Manchester United still persistently linked with a move for Sneijder, Inter appear to be making little attempt to reject speculation of a rival