Brolly stands by criticism of Cork

"Cork have failed against Kerry" - Joe Brolly Joe Brolly has stood by his sharp criticism of the Cork football team despite their victory over Down in the All-Ireland quarter-final on Saturday. A Gaelic Life column by Brolly drew the ire of Rebel fans in the run-up to the Croke Park clash with Down. Before the Rebels' 2-20 to 0-14 victory, he wrote: "They have been able to bludgeon and bore their way through every team in the country with their primitive approach, but as we saw for the umpteenth time in the Munster final, the Kingdom are far too smart for them." In a heated Sunday Game discussion with fellow analyst Tony Davis, the former Derry star stated that Cork "played like champions"

Fergie: Tevez said he would quit in four years

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that Carlos Tevez wasn't signed by Manchester United on a permanent deal because he said he was going to quit football in four years' time. GettyImagesCarlos Tevez waved goodbye to Man Utd • Ferguson: No more signings for us• Chicago Fire 1-3 Man Utd• Rooney eyes Reds challenge• Park set for new deal• Fergie targets Barca rematch Tevez was at Old Trafford for two years on loan, but United chose not to take up the option to keep him and he joined rivals Manchester City. Since then, the Argentine has gone on to become one of the best players in the Premier League, leading many to question Ferguson's wisdom over the decision to let him go. However, the canny Scot has revealed

QPR star Taarabt staying put

QPR have been handed a massive boost ahead of their first season back in the Premier League for 15 years after majority shareholders Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone revealed that in-demand playmaker Adel Taarabt is staying at the club. GettyImagesAdel Taarabt had looked certain to leave Loftus Road this summer • Warnock feeling the pinch • Sinclair: QPR return long overdue Taarabt had appeared destined to leave Loftus Road this summer, with advanced talks between QPR and PSG expected to confirm his departure to Ligue 1. But the deal for the former Tottenham midfielder, whose 19 league goals fired the Hoops to the Championship title and promotion back to the Premier League last season, has broken down and he will remain at the club. A statement from

Wenger to add defender to Arsenal squad

Arsene Wenger has confirmed he will "certainly" find a new signing to shore up Arsenal's defence this summer, but would not reveal his primary targets for the position. GettyImagesArsene Wenger has stated his desire to add one or two further signings to his squad • Nasri future not certain• Wenger hits out at Mancini• Gervinho: Arsenal will survive Everton defender Phil Jagielka is the latest player to be linked with a move to the Emirates, with Bolton's Gary Cahill and Blackburn's Chris Samba also thought to be high on Wenger's wish-list. "Certainly, we will have to find one more defender," he told Arsenal's official website. "We [are] working on it. "I don't want to comment individually because I do not want to destabilise clubs. I do not want

Rangers win 12th straight, blank Angels (AP)

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP)—The Texas Rangers came into Angel Stadium with a business-as-usual attitude. None of this “critical series” stuff. That’s for the second-place team. Alexi Ogando(notes) extended an extraordinary run by Texas pitchers with eight innings of four-hit ball and the streaking Rangers beat the sputtering Los Angeles Angels 7-0 Tuesday night for their 12 straight victory. “Our pitching staff’s done an incredible job in the last couple of weeks. And it goes without saying that we believe in our lineup,” designated hitter Michael Young(notes) said. “We know we’re playing good baseball, but in no way, shape or form are we satisfied. We’re happy right now, but we’re not satisfied. We’re capable of bigger and better things.” The defending AL champions, making their

Balotelli: We can cope without Carlos Tevez

Mario Balotelli is hoping Manchester City team-mate Carlos Tevez decides to stay at Eastlands but insists the club will be able to cope should the talismanic Argentine leave. PA PhotosMario Balotelli believes Carlos Tevez can easily be replaced should he leave Man City • Tevez Corinthians deal hits hurdle• Mancini expects Aguero bid• On The Move: Transfer Blog The Tevez transfer saga took a new twist on Wednesday when Corinthians pulled out of a move to sign him, leaving the former Manchester United star's future very much up in the air. He has consistently stated over the past few months that he wants to leave City to move closer to his family in South America, but that now looks unlikely to materialise. The latest development in his Tevez's

Vieira retires and joins Manchester City staff

Patrick Vieira has retired from football and taken on a role as football development executive at Manchester City. GettyImagesPatrick Vieira was a World Cup winner with France in 1998 • Dall: Patrick Vieira's winning habit• Boateng on verge of Bayern switch• Adebayor talks up Madrid return Vieira, 35, joined City from Inter Milan in January 2010 to help provide leadership and experience, but his contract expired this summer. He told the club's official website: "This role is a fantastic new challenge for me and I am very grateful to Manchester City for offering me this opportunity. "I have a lot to learn about the non-playing areas of the business but there are many very experienced people here for me to learn from and I am