Man Utd on alert as Shaqiri Turkey move stalls

Premier League champions Manchester United have been put on alert after Xherdan Shaqiri's proposed move from FC Basel to Galatasaray collapsed. GettyImagesXherdan Shaqiri: Basel want £20m for midfielder Attacking midfielder Shaqiri, who was hugely impressive as Basel dumped United out of the Champions League this season, looked set to join Turkish giants Galatasaray but the deal stalled after the two club's failed to agree a transfer fee. Galatasaray's offer of around £10 million did not meet Basel's valuation of their highly-rated Swiss international and the Turkish side have now ruled themselves out of the running. "Shaqiri's club Basel wanted a transfer fee that we would not accept and as a result negotiations have come to an end," Galatasaray vice-president Ali Durust said. In a statement,

Smalling, Jones return for Man Utd

Arsenal v Manchester United Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed on Friday that defensive duo Chris Smalling and Phil Jones are both fit for Manchester United's trip to Arsenal on Sunday. GettyImagesChris Smalling: Fit to face Gunners • Fergie quiet on Morrison rumours• Preview: Gunners out for vengeance The pair both sat out last week's home Premier League win over Bolton after failing to recover from the after-effects of a collision during the previous week's Manchester derby in the FA Cup. However, Ferguson reported both have trained this week and should be involved at the Emirates Stadium. "Phil and Chris will be fit,'' said Ferguson. Ferguson also confirmed long-term absentees Ashley Young and Tom Cleverley were making good progress in their bids to return to fitness. And Ferguson hopes the

Basel star Shaqiri considers Galatasaray move

Swiss star Xherdan Shaqiri says that he is considering a move to Turkey to play with Galatasaray, despite a host of other top clubs in Europe chasing his signature. GettyImagesXherdan Shaqiri has been tipped for the top Shaqiri, 20, has impressed for FC Basel as he led them to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time and the midfielder has been linked with a move - with Galatasaray leading the way with a €10 million bid. "I never would have imagined that I would go to the Turkish league, but Galatasaray are now a top club," he told Basler Zeitung. "The chances are good that the club will win the title and play in the Champions League next season.

Bates predicts doomsday for football finance

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent Leeds chairman Ken Bates has predicted a doomsday scenario for football in 2012 and thinks that banks will finally stop supporting financially-crippled clubs. GettyImagesKen Bates: Back at Leeds. Bates, 80, has owned Oldham, Wigan, Chelsea and now Leeds, as well as serving on various Football League committees and acting as a major force behind the scenes within the FA and Premier League. There have long been forecasts of doom and gloom for the financial side of the game and Bates, whose club take on Arsenal in Monday's big FA Cup tie on ESPN, is certain that it will come to a head this year. "The s**t is about to hit the proverbial fan in football this year, mark my words,''

Steve McClaren in talks over Twente return

Steve McClaren's Dutch agent Rob Jansen has revealed the former England manager is in talks with FC Twente about a return to the club he left 18 months ago. GettyImagesSteve McClaren led FC Twente to their first ever Eredivisie title in 2010 McClaren immediately emerged as the favourite to succeed Co Adriaanse, who was sacked on Tuesday by the Enschede club. And Jansen told De Telegraaf on Wednesday: "FC Twente and I are talking fast. We will see what comes of it.'' McClaren led Twente to their first ever Eredivisie title in his second season before leaving to take charge of Bundesliga side Wolfsburg in May 2010. The 50-year-old was sacked less than a year later and his most recent post was at Nottingham Forest,

Prem: Rampant United move level with City

A 5-0 victory over ten-man Wigan enabled Manchester United to draw level on points with Premier League leaders Manchester City on Boxing Day, as Roberto Mancini's men were held to a 0-0 draw against West Brom on a day that saw Fulham strike a major blow to Chelsea's title ambitions. GettyImagesDimitar Berbatov's third and Manchester United's fifth came from the penalty spot • Premier League Gallery • Jolly: United showcase depth At Old Trafford, Dimitar Berbatov's hat-trick and goals from Park Ji-sung and Antonio Valencia saw a makeshift Manchester United side cruise to a five-goal win over Wigan - who had striker Conor Sammon sent off in the first half. Sir Alex Ferguson named an unusual line-up - with Michael Carrick at centre-back - but nevertheless

Adebayor: African Nations Cup could cost City

Emmanuel Adebayor believes the wheels could come off Manchester City's title challenge when they lose Yaya Toure for the African Nations Cup next year. GettyImagesEmmanuel Adebayor is on loan from City City have enjoyed a near-faultless start to their Premier League campaign, losing just once in their opening 17 matches to open up a two-point gap on Manchester United at the top of the table. Roberto Mancini has rotated his squad on a regular basis, but Yaya Toure has been one of the few to maintain a regular place in the starting XI thanks to his tireless displays in midfield. However, Mancini will have to do without the former Barcelona man for up to a month next year as he heads to Gabon and