Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish insists the club's controversial methods of showing their backing for Luis Suarez have been right and proper and have not "caused trouble". GettyImagesLiverpool stars in Luis Suarez t-shirts • PFA chief blasts Suarez defence• Suarez banned for eight games• Liverpool hit back after Suarez ban• Suarez T-shirts bring angry reaction• Choose your Prem Lge XI of 2011 The Reds came in for criticism for their strongly-worded statement in the wake of Suarez's eight-match ban imposed for using insulting words towards Patrice Evra, with a reference to the Manchester United player's skin colour. The statement, which insinuated the FA had already made up their minds about the Uruguay international before the investigation was complete and questioned Evra's reliability as a witness, was widely condemned for being
Sports
Kenny Dalglish stands by banned Suarez
Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has stated his support for Luis Suarez after the striker received an eight-game ban for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra. GettyImagesKenny Dalglish fully backs Luis Suarez • Suarez banned for eight games• Liverpool hit back over ban Suarez was charged by the Football Association with abusing Evra and referring to his "ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race" in a disciplinary hearing last week. Dalglish, though, has backed the Uruguay international since the incident took place on October 18, and continued to show staunch support after the verdict was handed down. "Very disappointed with today's verdict. This is the time when [Luis Suarez] needs our full support. Let's not let him walk alone. KD," Dalglish said via Twitter. Liverpool, meanwhile, issued
Dann suffers ruptured testicle
Blackburn Rovers have suffered another blow with the news that defender Scott Dann has been ruled out of action for six weeks after he ruptured a testicle. PA PhotosScott Dann scored an equaliser for Blackburn but it was not enough. • Salgado to leave Blackburn• Steve Kean rejects sack talk Dann has been a vital part of the Rovers defence with injuries to Chris Samba and Ryan Nelsen in recent weeks. But, despite scoring as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat to West Bromwich Albion at Ewood Park at the weekend, the former Birmingham centre-back has been forced onto the sidelines until Feburary. Manager Steve Kean told ESPNsoccernet in an exclusive one on one interview: "Our physio cannot believe it. He has two players out with
Santos star Neymar left in awe of Barcelona
Neymar said Barcelona are "impossible" to defeat after Santos were demolished 4-0 in the Club World Cup final. Barcelona 4-0 Santos (UK/US/ROI) Two goals from Lionel Messi either side of strikes from Xavi and Cesc Fabregas provided a convincing victory for the European champions as Neymar and co were unable to make their mark. "It's impossible to stop Barcelona, but we are the second-best team in the world and for us that is a great reward," Neymar said. Santos coach Muricy Ramalho offered a similar assessment of a Barcelona side he deems "invincible". "Barcelona are the greatest team in the world," he said. "No team can live with them. They're unbeatable at the moment. Losing 4-0 to them is no disgrace." Pep Guardiola, who has now
O’Neill dreams of Sunderland playing like Barca
Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill has outlined his ambition to have a team that plays with the style of Barcelona, though admitted "pragmatism has to be the order of the day" for the struggling Wearsiders at the moment. GettyImagesMartin O'Neill looking far into a future where Sunderland play like Lionel Messi and Co • O'Neill eyes Gyan recall European champions Barca have been described by some as the best side ever to have played the game and Pep Guardiola's charges have unquestionably set a benchmark in the modern era with their devastating tiki-taka approach. The Catalans have won many admirers and can count O'Neill among them, with the Northern Irishman keen to create a team in the future capable of emulating Lionel Messi and his team-mates. However,
Keane slams United players
Manchester United legend Roy Keane admitted his former side "got what they deserved" as they crashed out of the Champions League at the group stage tonight. Alex Ferguson's men suffered a 2-1 defeat to Basel in Switzerland, Phil Jones' late headed goal not enough after Marco Streller and Alexander Frei had put the hosts in control. The result left United winless in four meetings with tonight's opponents and their fellow qualifiers Benfica, their only victories coming against Romanian minnows Otelul Galati. "I think going out reflects what United have done in truth, they haven't scored enough goals and they haven't beaten Basel or Benfica," said Keane, part of ITV1's summarising team for the match. "It's all about scoring goals." The last time United failed
Marlins, Cardinals vying for Pujols (AP)
DALLAS (AP)—Jeffrey Loria quickly marched down the hallway with his team president, trailed by their top aides, and hustled into a meeting room with a labor lawyer from Major League Baseball. Having already made the biggest splash at the winter meetings, the Miami Marlins owner was trying to reel in Albert Pujols(notes) and perhaps other big-name free agents with the newfound riches from their new ballpark. “He’s not the only guy,” Loria said about 20 minutes later before heading back upstairs on an elevator with his delegation. Baseball’s new Big Fish were the talk of the winter meetings Tuesday, with teams wondering how close the Marlins were to an agreement with Pujols on a deal that could be worth $ 200 million