Report: Bears QB Cutler out 6 to 8 weeks (AP)

CHICAGO (AP)—Jay Cutler(notes) led the Bears to their fifth straight victory Sunday. It could be his last game with Chicago for a while. The Chicago Tribune reported later Sunday that Cutler broke his right thumb during a 31-20 victory over the San Diego Chargers and was expected to miss six to eight weeks. The Bears would not confirm the report. Cutler’s agent, Bus Cook, did not return messages from The Associated Press. Bears QB Jay Cutler passed for 286 yards and two touchdowns before his injury trying to stop an interception return.(Getty Images) The Tribune reported that Cutler was injured trying to prevent a touchdown on a 64-yard interception return by San Diego’s Antoine Cason(notes) in the fourth quarter. Cutler got knocked to the

Villa owner Lerner has no plans to sell

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has reiterated his commitment to the club, rejecting recent reports suggesting that he was ready to sell the club after five years in charge. • Blog: Spurs test for Villa PA PhotosRandy Lerner first took ownership of Aston Villa in 2006 Lerner, 49, first took control at Villa Park in 2006 but there have been rumours of late that the American businessman was pondering looking for a buyer to take the club off his hands. However, he insisted in an interview with The Times that he has no plans to do so as things stand. Asked whether he was still committed to Villa, he replied: "Yes.'' On whether he could envisage selling, Lerner responded: "No. Not unless it's something to do

Sepp Blatter hits back at Utd’s Rio Ferdinand

Sepp Blatter has responded to criticism from Rio Ferdinand regarding the FIFA president's controversial comments about racism in football and choice of photo that accompanied his clarification. Watch Blatter's shocking comments on racism • Blatter clarifies comments• Blatter: No racism in football• Taylor: Blatter should resign Blatter said on Wednesday he believes a racist exchange between players during a match should be reconciled with a hand shake after the final whistle. His words have led to calls for the Swiss to resign from his position as FIFA president, with PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor among those stating he should step down. A statement was issued by Blatter on Wednesday evening in the hope of clarifying his comments, and with it accompanied a photo of the 72-year-old standing alongside

On-loan Joe Cole desperate for Olympic call

Joe Cole has made himself available to Stuart Pearce after revealing he is desperate to play for Team GB at London 2012. GettyImagesJoe Cole has impressed at Lille since signing on loan from Liverpool Cole, who is on a season-long loan at Lille after struggling to secure a place in the Liverpool first team, has not given up hope of an England call-up. He has not played for the Three Lions since the World Cup last summer, but Cole, who has 56 caps to his name, says he is only focusing on his club form. "If the call comes, I would be very happy because I am a proud Englishman," Cole said." I love playing for my country. If it comes, great. If it

No injuries for Under-21 boss King

Republic of Ireland Under-21 coach Noel King has a fully fit squad to choose from for Monday's UEFA U-21 European Championship qualifier against Liechtenstein at the Showgrounds in Sligo (7.30pm). All 18 members of the original squad reported for duty on Saturday and preparations have gone well over the weekend. Having claimed six points out of a possible nine in their opening three ties, Ireland can keep on the tails of pacesetters in the group, Italy and Turkey, with another victory at the Sligo venue they've won both games played so far this season. Liechtenstein caused Ireland a scare in last month's away fixture in Eschen when they swept into an early lead only for hat-trick hero James Collins to inspire Ireland's comeback

Redknapp and Mandaric to face January trial

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp will face trial for tax evasion on January 23 next year, it can be reported for the first time. GettyImagesHarry Redknapp returned home on Thursday after being released from hospital following a heart procedure Redknapp, tipped as a future England manager, is accused of two counts of cheating the public revenue between specific dates in 2002 and 2007 when he was manager of Portsmouth Football Club. He is accused alongside the then Portsmouth FC chairman Milan Mandaric. The first charge alleges that between April 1, 2002, and November 28, 2007, Mandaric paid $ 145,000 into a bank account held by Redknapp in Monaco, to avoid paying income tax and national insurance. The second charge for the same offence relates

Dalglish hits out at ‘disgraceful’ cup schedule

Kenny Dalglish has attacked the "disgraceful" scheduling headache that has left Liverpool playing their Carling Cup quarter-final against Chelsea just 48 hours after their Premier League clash with Manchester City. PA PhotosKenny Dalglish has warned Liverpool fans to "think carefully" about buying tickets for the quarter-final • Carragher hopes to face Chelsea• Suarez eyes extended stay• Murdoch makes Hillsborough apology The Metropolitan Police has advised against Chelsea hosting the Carling Cup tie on Wednesday November 30 on account of a Trade Unions Congress rally in the capital that day. The fixture has been moved forward to Tuesday November 29, two days after Liverpool host the Premier League leaders. "It is disgraceful in this day and age that players are being asked to play a key Premier League